IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics

Get email notification of topic replies. Log in or register (free). Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

2006 XC90 2.5T AWD grinding noise while accelerating

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo XC90s. The XC90 proved to be very popular, and very good for Volvo's sales numbers, since its introduction in model year 2003 (North America).
Pretribrapper
Year and Model: 2011 XC90 V8

2006 XC90 2.5T AWD grinding noise while accelerating

Post by Pretribrapper »

New to this site. Hoping somenone can help. My XC90 has been having a really weird grinding noise that you can feel in the gas pedal while accelerating. It seems to be accompanied by a low pitch growl when turning left or right under harder acceleration. At first I only noticed it when I would turn and accelerate from a standstill. Seemed to only happen when turning right initially, but this grind (mild clunking sound at times) happens when I take off going straight too. Once I get going over 30 mph I do not seem to hear the sound even when I hit the gas rather hard. At that point the thing seems to drive fine.
The vehicle has 177k on it. Is there any hope that this can be an issue that is easy to fix. Any idea what it could be. It does sound like the sound is coming from the center of the vehicle up front.
The growl sound is most noticable when accelerating while turning right from a stop, but can also be heard turning left. Car drives straight. Just had alignment done and suspension checked and maintenanced. When I brake hard the vehicle does not pull either way.
The clunking is present with the deep growl while accelerating Straight, left or right.
CV axels appear great drivers and passenger side. Really wanting to fix myself. I have heard anything from possible angle gear, angle gear sleeve, axle, among other things. Any ideas? Any simple method for a DIY'er to visually inspect.????
Pretribrapper
Year and Model: 2011 XC90 V8

Re: 2006 XC90 2.5T AWD grinding noise while accelerating

Post by Pretribrapper »

So I replaced the angle gear sleeve as it was worn out and the noise got worse. Just swapped out the angle gear and we will see if that does the trick..
scot850
Year and Model: 2000 V70 R

Re: 2006 XC90 2.5T AWD grinding noise while accelerating

Post by scot850 »

Sorry no one on this site took the time to help you out. I do not have a XC90, but an 06 XC70 which is similar. When you replaced the angle gear collar did you check carefully for damage to the angle gear shaft to which it connects? The splines on that are prone to damage too when the collar becomes badly worn.

Check the bearings for feel in the angle gear.

XC90's are prone to prop-shaft issues and rear wheel bearing issues so check there too.

The rear Haldex system can also play up with the oil pump not doing its job as well as failures of the operating circuit board. Xemodex does a repair kit for this so check their web-site. I believe they no longer deal directly with the public so you may have to find a partner they use like FCP Euro.

Lastly, when you re-filled the oil in the angle gear, did you use the Volvo oil or something else?

Good luck,

Neil.
2000 V70 R - still being an endless PITA
2006 XC70
2003 Toyota 4Runner V8 Limited
2015 Kia Sportage EX-L
1993 850 GLT -Sold
1998 V70 XC - Sold
1997 Volvo 850 SE NA - Went to niece in California - Sold
2000 V70 SE NA - New project and test bed - Sold