IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics

Get email notification of topic replies. Log in or register (free). Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

Volvo S60. no power, stalls when accelerating to Highway speeds

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

johnmatthew
Year and Model: 2003 S60 2.4T

Volvo S60. no power, stalls when accelerating to Highway speeds

Post by johnmatthew »

HI new member here. Im having a problem with my 2003 volvo s60 2.4T. when i am casually driving, the car drives like it is 100 percent. However when i go to accelerate aggressively, the car acts as if i am only holding the gas pedal half way down, accelerating very sluggishly. Launching from first gear at full throttle the car will move through first gear accelerating up to 4000 rpms then shifting to second. then accelerating to 4000 rpms again before shifting to third. once the car finally makes it to third the car will accelerate to about 4000 rpms before it stumbles and trips on itself. (feels like it is shifting between third and forth gear rapidly or feels like engine is cutting in and out). if i continue to hold the gas pedal 100 percent down the car will continue to trip and stumble until it falls into safe mode. the car does not have enough power to overtake other cars on the freeway and cannot climb hills at all. ive taken the car out to open country roads and opened up to full throttle and car can only made it to 92 mph after a very very long time and would not go any faster. ive taken the car to 120 without any problems before this new issue. the way i get the the car to highway speed is by manually shifting for the car so the rpm stay below 4000. i have checked the TCV, the boost pressure sensor and Mass Air Flow, all seem to be in working order. The fail codes i have gotten are P0236 (Turbo Sensor) and code P0237 (Turbo circuit A low). fail codes will sometimes be present and sometimes not.
oragex
Year and Model: S60 2003

Re: Volvo S60. no power, stalls when accelerating to Highway speeds

Post by oragex »

just an idea, the vvt solenoids kick at around 4000 rpm I believe. the car should go past 6000 rpm when flooring it in the 1st gear
johnmatthew

Post by johnmatthew »

so i spent the day under the hood and found that my turbo has seized up, the shaft connecting the turbine to the compressor bent and snapped. i pulled it out and have taken the turbo all apart. does anybody know of a good rebuild kit for the turbo or know of any volvos that use the same turbo. thank you
oragex
Year and Model: S60 2003

Post by oragex »

I'd go with a used unit, these are not known to fail frequently
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Volvo-S70-V70-C ... L5&vxp=mtr
chrism
Year and Model: S80 / 2005

Post by chrism »

I've never had to replace a turbo so I don't know what all is involved. However, but in a recent post on the subject, someone suggested that before it goes back together that you verify the oil lines aren't plugged up.

Curious - what type of oil, weight, and change schedule are you following?
johnmatthew

Post by johnmatthew »

i was able to get the turbo rebuilt and in the car today. she now runs like a champ. the hardest part of the rebuild was cleaning the burnt oil from the microscopic holes and outlet pipe for the bearing. i have moved away from synthetic and am now running 10W30 because i think i have a leaking main seal so syn runs right passed the bad seal