IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics

Get email notification of topic replies. Log in or register (free). Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

ABS and BRAKE light on.

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on S40 and V40. In this forum you'll find S40/V40-specific owners asking and answering questions on maintenance, ownership, repairs, tutorials and almost every do-it-yourself thing you can do to save money owning these Volvos.

1996 - 2004 S40
1996 - 2004 V40

JhonC
Year and Model: 2000 S40

ABS and BRAKE light on.

Post by JhonC »

A few weeks ago these lights started to come up every now and then, but now they are on all the time. As a result my speedometer does not work, neither does the trip computer control panel and the Cruise control. Every now and then (very rarely) everything works again for a few minutes when I start the car in the mornings but after a few minutes the same problem occurs.

I had one mechanic told me that I have an ABS defective unit. But my Volvo only has 70,000 miles. I been looking online and I see other Volvo Models have issues like this but I have not seen it on a S40.

Anyway after all the research I have done I can only blame the ABS computer/module. The dealership sell the part for over $470 US dollars and I have found some place online that will fix your ABS unit for about $130 US dollars. but you have to send the part to them, and I need my car for work. It would be a few days maybe weeks before I get it back!

Is there any website or company in US that sells the ABS already programed and then you send them the core back after.

Also I have read that I need a Torx wrench (socket) E5 in order to remove the ABS; Do I need this socket for the S40 model too?

Thanks
Attachments
These are the lights that are on all the time!
These are the lights that are on all the time!
photo.jpg (126.43 KiB) Viewed 5564 times
JhonC

ABS and BRAKE light on. Progress 1

Post by JhonC »

I found out that I can take the ABS module and still drive the car (of course under my own risk). So I took the ABS unit yesterday it took me about 1 hour. Also for a Volvo s40 you don't need the special tool (Torx wrench (socket) E5) to take it off, all you need is a T20 socket (see pic)
T20 Socket for removal of the 6 screws
T20 Socket for removal of the 6 screws
t20 socket.jpg (1.43 KiB) Viewed 5556 times
which you can find almost at any tool store for a few dollars. I mailed the ABS module to this guy in souther California that repairs ABS units for $125 US dollars plus $15 Shipping and handeling here is the Link to his page, his name is Victor and he takes PAY PAL or cashier checks. home.earthlink.net/~vicrocha/Volvo_Parts/Volvo_V70_ABS.htm
I packed the ABS module I mailed it with Insurance and Return receipt for less that $14 US dollars.
I should have it back in 6 business days.
I will post the results when I get it back
Here are some pictures
Volvo s40 ABS control unit Removal
photo 5.jpg (157.42 KiB) Viewed 5556 times
photo 4.jpg (138.21 KiB) Viewed 5556 times
photo 3.jpg (144.44 KiB) Viewed 5556 times
photo 2.jpg (109.44 KiB) Viewed 5556 times
photo.jpg (161.47 KiB) Viewed 5556 times
JhonC

Re: ABS and BRAKE light on.

Post by JhonC »

I just got the module back yesterday. put the thing back. And it works great! All lights are off now and all my car features work again (Speedometer, cruise control, out side temperature) It took care of the problem!

And the guy Victor, very easy to work with plus he is very fast, will highly recommend him to repair ABS units

I spent 160 US dollars total VS $1000 at the dealership. I say is a win!

Hope this is helpful for you!
mgene63
Year and Model: S40 2000

Post by mgene63 »

Does anyone know if it is the solder joints on this unit that goes bad like the others? There is very little information about the s40's abs unit. I'd really like to know if that is the case so that I can repair it myself? Is the abs module a common problem? I have a 2000 s40 with just the abs light on but all of the sensor seem to be fine.
s40Ghost
Year and Model: 2000 volvo s40

Post by s40Ghost »

Hey JhonC, How can i contact this viktor guy? Im having the same problem you were having and would like this guy's services. Thanks!
billofdurham
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 855, 1995

Post by billofdurham »

This link is in one of the earlier posts.

Bill.
Work was good - retirement is better.

1996 850GLT 2.5 20v Estate Manual.
1995 Peugeot Boxer 2.5Tdi Autosleeper.
Previously:
1984 244DL, Manual, Beige.
1987 744GLE, Manual, Green.
1991 960 3.0 24v, Auto, Silver.
1994 940T Wentworth, Auto, Blue.
SATXbassplayer
Year and Model: 2004 S40

Post by SATXbassplayer »

@JhonC - THANK YOU!! My mechanic quoted me $1200 for this repair. I followed your instructions, sent the ABS Control Unit to Victor Rocha at http://home.earthlink.net/~vicrocha/Vol ... 70_ABS.htm ([email protected]), and 1 week later I was back in business at a total cost of $115!!

It took about an hour to remove the unit, a bit less to reinstall. I did need to unbolt the power steering fluid reservoir and two brake line clips in order to lift the ABS unit high enough to get access to the Control Unit. Other than that - easy-peasy!

Thank you again for starting this thread, and for ultimately saving me over $1000!

Cheers!

SATXbassplayer