IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics

Get email notification of topic replies. Log in or register (free). Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

bleed cooling system

Help, Advice and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's extremely popular car line -- Volvo's 1990s "bread and butter" cars -- powered by the ubiquitous and durable Volvo inline 5-cylinder engine.

1992 - 1997 850, 850 R, 850 T5-R, 850 T5, 850 GLT
1997 - 2000 S70, S70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70, V70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70-XC
1997 - 2004 C70

louty
Year and Model: s70 1998

bleed cooling system

Post by louty »

so working on my sons 2000 v70xc and dong a timing belt and waterpump. I hope to be able to re-install stuff tonight afterwork. But I have read that people need to bleed the cooling system on these cars, and if not blow a head gasaket or worse.
to be honest, I have done several cooling system flushes on a 850 adn my wifes s70. but I never bleed a cooling system on these cars. I have on many others where they have bleed screws etc.
so do I need to bleed the system, adn if so , how. my crappy clintons manual does not say a thing about it

thanks
byeboy
Year and Model: 850R, 1997

Re: bleed cooling system

Post by byeboy »

On my 850, the hose to the coolant overflow tank comes from the upper thermostat housing, which should be the high point on the engine's water system, so should self-bleed...but that's just my thinking...I'll watch for replies from them that know!
It is always important to position the tiny air bleed hole in the thermostat facing forward...or is it towards the "front" of the engine...which is facing sideways...?? Now I've confused myself,,,Dang Sideways motors!!
JDS60R
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 2007 S60R 2007 S60

Post by JDS60R »

Volvo wants you to let it idle for a while with the cap off .
Masterworks Complete Auto Services
Volvo Spoken Here !!!
100 Park Circle
Old Hickory, TN 37138
louty
Year and Model: s70 1998

Post by louty »

thanks for the replys
I was always told , if the thermostat has a bleed hole, to point it up.
sometimes I get thrmostats with no bleedhole, so I always drill a small one into it, and point it up, or in the case of a car like this , wehre the thermostat lays flat, point it forward.
and yes, when I do a radiator flush, in the past, I do run it till its good and hot with the cap off, then let it cool, check the fluids and repeat. I do it with it up on ramps, so any air is gonna move up ( hope) and be gone. then I put the cap on, run it to hot, let it cool and then check again. unlike my other ride, a 91 bmw that if you dont bleed, with a bleed screw , its gonna run way hot so much so , and trap air right at the fan thermostat switch so the fan does not kick on when needed
glad to hear, not an issue with these cars
thanks