IPD sale Volvo Parts

98 v70 rear seat belt stuck and seat wont fold back

Help, Advice and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's extremely popular car line -- Volvo's 1990s "bread and butter" cars -- powered by the ubiquitous and durable Volvo inline 5-cylinder engine.
1992 - 1997 850, 850 R, 850 T5-R, 850 T5, 850 GLT
1997 - 2000 S70, S70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70, V70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70-XC
1997 - 2004 C70
jbarrow8081
Year and Model: 2004 xc90
United States of America

98 v70 rear seat belt stuck and seat wont fold back

Post by jbarrow8081 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:18 am

Hi,

I have a 98 v70 with 162k miles. I had to fold my rear (driver side) seat down yesterday to get something in the back. The seat belt stuck and now I can't get the seat to fold back up. I know the source of the problem is that little plastic piece on the seat belt is gone. Is there a way that I can release this on my own? I have had to deal with this before and the dealer always charges me about $50 for the repair which I know takes all of about 5 minutes. I read here that attaching the seatbelt before you put the seat down is a good safeguard against this issue which is a great idea. Any advice on how I can fix this on my own is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Joe

et3surge
Year and Model:

Re: 98 v70 rear seat belt stuck and seat wont fold back

Post by et3surge » Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:14 am

I am definitely not a Volvo expert but having a 99 V70 I have dealt with this several times. IN the future yes clip in before tilting seat.

To fix this all you have to do is follow the belt down to the ground, when you reach the end you will find the bolt that attaches it to the frame. With a second pair of hands or a small block open some gap between the seat cushion and you can work easily to unbolt it. Once released you can slide the belt up and tilt the seat back again. Once you slide it up the locking mechanism releases in the belt and you can re-attach it to the floor. That easy...

Being that this is a safety feature, I can only tell you that you may want to ask around about torque on the bolt when you re-attach it, but I have had no reason for concern I simply re-attached it at the same torque it took to remove it +/-.

Good luck

jbarrow8081
Year and Model: 2004 xc90
United States of America

Post by jbarrow8081 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:57 am

worked like a charm, thanks so much for the help! 10 minute fix.....just wish I knew this the last few times it happened. Thanks again - very helpful!!!!

wallflower
Year and Model: 2005 v70

Post by wallflower » Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:39 pm

I have an '05 V70 and this worked great.
10 minutes, & I'm done.

Here's a few changes for the '05:
1/2in bolt.
was a tight squeeze, but a regular ratchet got in there.
I didn't need to lift the seat to squeeze between the body and the small cushion next to the door jamb. Because the ratchet didn't have a long arm, I used a bigger closed-end wrench to amplify the torque.

Thanks again!

LakeFlambeau
Year and Model: 98 xc 06 xc 07 xc
United States of America

Post by LakeFlambeau » Tue May 29, 2012 9:04 pm

jbarrow8081 wrote:worked like a charm, thanks so much for the help! 10 minute fix.....just wish I knew this the last few times it happened. Thanks again - very helpful!!!!

Just want to repost that this worked perferctly for me also. 14 mm wrench, or socket, which was a bit
easier. I will always hook the seatbelt in future before lowering, so I do not have to do this again.

Thanks for the great timesaver....

1998 XC, Now a 2nd 1998 XC 1998 S70
Previous
1997 850, 1992 740 Turbo Wagon. 1987 740 Turbo Wagon, 3 - 240's Various Years

punkporvida
Year and Model: V70 1998

Post by punkporvida » Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:55 pm

This did not work for me. :x

When I removed the seatbelt from the chassis the seat belt retractor just kept eating up the slack. So now the seat belt is snugged up to the roller at the first (upper most) button in the belt. No amount of moving/wiggling the belt will make it to let go so that the seatbelt can be pulled down again.

Clearly the mechanism has failed and needs to be replaced. My question is: How do I get remove the whole seat belt assembly? :?:

I've got the cover with the latch assembly and buttons removed. It looks like there are are couple of very large Torque bolts that hold the Latch assembly to the seat. I guess removing the latch assembly is a good place to start.

If any of you have conquered this problem before and have a little advise you could send my way i'd appreciate it. :idea:

Also, I had to break the four little plastic capped plugs to get the latch assembly cover off. Any idea where I can source replacements for these guys as well?

Thanks,
PaddyG

punkporvida
Year and Model: V70 1998

Post by punkporvida » Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:42 pm

No love from this thread. :cry:
I just wanted to post eventually what came to pass. To close the documentation loop.
I was never able to remove the whole seatbelt assembly. Perhaps it is better that i didn't...

I drove around for a couple of months with the lower part of the seat belt unbolted from the body of the car. One day I tired to take another crack at fixing the problem. This time i was able to get the seat belt retractor to un-lock and give me some slack.The only thing that I can point out is that it is very important for the seat back to be completely straight up and in the upright position. This will allow a weight in the retractor to sit in its "happy" place and let go of the seat belt. I took as much slack as I could and was able to put it all back together.

In summation, I do not believe the problem is fixed, but I am able to strategically avoid the problem from recurring by buckling the seat belt every time before I fold the seat back down. The the seat beat clip does leave an impression in the leather of the back seat if you leave the seat back down for long periods of time.

I was able to source the little plastic pins for the seat belt assembly cover from the stealership. But iPd might also have them or something similar.